Current:Home > reviewsAnthony Joshua silences boos with one-punch knockout of Robert Helenius -ProgressCapital
Anthony Joshua silences boos with one-punch knockout of Robert Helenius
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:30:30
It took Anthony Joshua a while but he delivered in the end.
The former heavyweight champ spent half the fight trying to figure out how he was going to land a bomb on Robert Helenius but finally did in Round 7, a single right hand that ended the fight instantaneously Saturday at O2 Arena in London.
The victory is his second in a row after devastating back-to-back losses to Oleksandr Usyk and sets up a showdown with fellow former titleholder Deontay Wilder.
"That's the fight we want," said promoter Eddie Hearn, referring to Wilder. "We have a three-fight plan, whether you like it or not. It was Robert Helenius, supposed to be Dillian Whyte; Deontay Wilder, and then Tyson Fury.
"That's the ambition of the team."
Helenius, who stopped a journeyman in three rounds last weekend, took the fight with Joshua on less than a week's notice after Dillian Whyte failed a drug test and was pulled from the card.
However, he performed reasonably well … for a while.
Joshua (26-3, 23 KOs) controlled the fight with his jab and threw power shots here and there but was reluctant to take significant risks as he tried to figure out his opponent, instead waiting for the perfect opportunity to land a big blow.
The lack of action drew boos from the hometown fans, who obviously wanted Joshua to attack with more ferocity.
Then everything changed in a breathtaking moment. Helenius had his back against the ropes when Joshua unleashed a straight right hand that caught Helenius on his chin, sending him to the canvas in an unconscious state and lifting the suddenly satisfied spectators to their feet.
Referee Victor Loughlin had no need to count as it was clear that Helenius couldn't continue. The official time of the stoppage: 1:27.
Just like that Joshua, fighting for the second time with new trainer Derrick James, turned what had been an uninspiring performance into a Knockout of the Year candidate. That's exactly what he hoped to do going into an expected meeting with Wilder late this year or early in 2024.
"He's got talent," Joshua said about Helenius. "So I had to figure him out. He was a late replacement. And I think he can cause a lot of people some problems, in my opinion. Credit to him for coming out tonight and saving the show. … I need to stay busy. I need to keep on building, keep on building. I've been off for too long."
Joshua had no inclination before Saturday to discuss a prospective meeting with Wilder.
He was asked again about what would be one of the biggest possible heavyweight matchups. He didn't answer the question directly but made it clear by play acting that he's on board with a heavyweight takeover.
"My back, my back. Is there a doctor in here? My back is going," he said, his voice rising, "… [is going] to carry this heavyweight division to the top."
Hearn clearly believes in his longtime client, a 33-year-old former two-time heavyweight champion bent on a third reign.
"Whether you back Joshua, whether you think he can do it, whether you think not, he's changed," Hearn said. "He's now a mature heavyweight. I know everyone wants to see a first, second, third round KO, but against Helenius he took his time and delivered one of the knockouts of the year.
"And we believe he can go on to beat Deontay Wilder. … We look to try to close that deal over the next couple of days. Joshua is ready for that fight."
veryGood! (264)
Related
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- 6 people, including 3 children, killed in Florida after train crashes into SUV on tracks
- Egypt sets a presidential election for December with el-Sissi likely to stay in power until 2030
- Joe Burrow injury updates: Bengals QB active for 'Monday Night Football' vs. Rams
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- At least 360 Georgia prison guards have been arrested for contraband since 2018, newspaper finds
- Mel Tucker’s attorney: Michigan State doesn’t have cause to fire suspended coach over phone sex
- A deputy police chief in Thailand cries foul after his home is raided for a gambling investigation
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- In search of healthy lunch ideas? Whether for school or work, these tips make things easy
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Trump lawyers say prosecutors want to ‘silence’ him with gag order in his federal 2020 election case
- 25 of the best one hit wonder songs including ‘Save Tonight’ and ‘Whoomp! (There It Is)’
- Bruce Willis health update: Wife Emma says it's 'hard to know' if actor understands his dementia
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- After US approval, Japan OKs Leqembi, its first Alzheimer’s drug, developed by Eisai and Biogen
- A former UK nurse will be retried on a charge that she tried to murder a baby girl at a hospital
- Parts of Lahaina open for re-entry as town seeks closure after deadly wildfires
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Canadian auto workers to target General Motors after deal with Ford is ratified
Steelers’ team plane makes emergency landing in Kansas City, no injuries reported
Your Ultimate Guide to Pimple Patches
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Savannah Chrisley Says She's So Numb After Death of Ex-Fiancé Nic Kerdiles
Supreme Court's interpretation of the word and could affect thousands of prison sentences each year
Woman accidentally finds Powerball jackpot ticket worth $100,000 in pile of papers